The SI represents the IT profession in Switzerland: professionals with a university degree or equivalent qualification, educators, researchers, people and organisations with a stake in ethical and professional IT. It networks its members and represents their interests in politics, education, business and research.
The SI is primarily active in the following areas:
- Coordination of IT higher education and research by SIRA
- Coordination of IT public education by SVIA
- Exchange at national and international levels through the communities of SI
- Promotion of computer science talents at all levels
- Promotion of e-literacy in Swiss society through ECDL SI
- Promotion of Continuing Professional development (CPD) through IT Expert SI certification