The SI represents the IT profession in Switzerland: professionals with a university degree or equivalent qualification, educators, researchers, people and organisations with a stake in ethical and professional IT. It networks its members and represents their interests in politics, education, business and research.
The SI is primarily active in the following areas:
- coordination of IT higher education and research by SIRA
- coordination of IT public education by SVIA
- coordination of exchange in the national and international level through the communities of the SI
- promotion of computer science talent at all levels
- promotion of e-literacy in the Swiss society with ECDL SI
- promotion of continuing professional development (CPD) through the IT Expert SI certification